Sunday, June 8, 2008

Back in Arua





Thank you so much for all of you who have been praying for me and for my time here in Uganda! I cannot even begin to tell you what a blessing it has been to return back to the people and place I love so much! In a lot of ways it does not even seem like I have left as I have been able to pick up friendships right where I left them! A huge blessing in coming back this time is to have Billy, Joanna, and Elsie Jayne back in Arua! They returned to Arua in January after a few months home for a family emergency and to deliver beautiful Elsie Jayne! It has been a huge privilege to work and serve alongside two amazing couples (The Rinehimer’s and Coppedge’s) and to have all the A-team back in place!!

The weeks back have been full as since a few days after my return we have hosted a team of nine and then this last week we had some more visitors from America. An additional blessing is that my brother, John, was the leader of the first team so it was a blessing once again to serve with him here in Arua. John and his team have spent the last week in Kampala serving and are flying back to America tonight. Please be in prayer for their safety as they travel. Also on the team with my brother were Erica Rinehimer’s brother and sister. It really was like have a family reunion here in Arua! We are so thankful for the time that we had with our families and with the visitors from America! Jesus used them in so many ways to impact His kingdom so thank you for praying for them!

A main part of my ministry here in Arua is children’s ministry. Four days a week I am involved with kid’s clubs in three different areas. Two days a week I work with the children from Uganda Christian University (UCU), singing songs, telling bible stories, dramas, memory verse, and games. A lot of the children at UCU are the same children I worked with last year when I was here so it is fun to watch them grow both physically and spiritually. The other two days of kid’s club I work with children in our neighborhood. Saturday morning is especially one of my favorite days as we have kid’s club in our front yard. We have a great time and it really is amazing how it has opened doors with our neighbors. Please continue to pray for all the children’s little hearts that they would come to know the love of Christ in a personal way!

Another ministry I have been involved with is a weekly bible study with Ugandan girls. I have loved being able to live life with these girls and enjoy our time together each week. The first week I attended I shared with them my testimony and how Jesus had changed my life. Pamela, the young lady on the right, in the picture after some conversation prayed to accept Christ as her personal Lord and Savior! PRAISE JESUS!!! She came back the next week so excited to tell me how Jesus had helped her forgive someone who had hurt her and that the bitterness was gone! Please pray for Pamela and for the other girls as they continue to grow in their relationships with Jesus Christ!!


Many of you have also asked about Dr. Stella who is one of the Minister’s of Agriculture here in Arua. I worked very closely with Dr. Stella when I was here last year and she has become one of my closest Ugandan friends. She is doing very well and just six weeks ago delivered beautiful baby Grace. I have been able to meet with her once a week for bible study. Please continue to pray for Dr. Stella and baby Grace!





Some other exciting news that you can be praying for in the upcoming weeks is that I met with Raymond, who is the school inspector for the Arua district, and he is hoping to get me into three or four high schools. The purpose of the visits into the schools is to meet with the teachers who attended the sex education training and evaluate the curriculum and then to hold an assembly for the entire student body and talk about Abstinence. I am so excited about this opportunity and at the same time humble at the thought of being able to speak into these young people’s lives. I am not sure of the exact dates yet, but I would covet your prayers for these times and God’s spirit to move among the young people of Arua!

Another upcoming event is this weekend we will be traveling down to Nebbi for another Pastor’s Training session. I am so excited to be with the pastor’s once again!! They are wonderful men who are full of the fruits of the spirit! John, Billy, and I will be teaching this weekend and we are always so grateful for your prayers! This last weekend Billy, Joanna, and I had the priviledge of training with John Oneck one head pastor from Sudan. It went amazing and we could feel the Holy Spirit presence with us the whole weekend! Jesus really is moving here in Northern Uganda and in Sudan and we are so thankful for all of you who are carrying us and these places in your hearts and prayers!