Monday, December 3, 2007

Uleppi

Thank you all soooo much for praying for our trip to Uleppi! We had a real sweet time with the people as well as ironed out the details for breeding some of their cattle in the near future. When we (Erica Rinehimer, Dr. Stella -agriculture director of Arua, and me) arrived we first had a meeting with the sub-county chief and about 10 of the cattle owners. The way they have arranged their herd is that everyone contributes and buys a few cows. Then as needs arise in the community they can sell cows to provide money for sicknesses, funerals, school fees, etc. It really is a brillant system that they have come up with and it not only works, but benefits the entire community. I will not bore you with all the "cow talk" but in out meeting we discussed how to keep accurate records, how to determine when to breed the cows, and how to invest these cows for the future among other things. We then moved to the pasture they had set up for the cows they planned to breed. Together we assesed the cows to determine which sperm to select for insemination. They have done a real good job picking out the cows to breed and I was impressed at the care they had taken of these animals!



After working with the cows we moved to the church to meet with some of the congregation. Thankfully I had come prepared to share and I got the chance to preach my first sermon in the village. I guess it was more of a sermonette, but I preached on the "Power of a Praying Village". I am definitely not a preacher, but Jesus really showed up and helped me!! Thank you so much for all of you who were praying!! Truly I know that all that is taking place here is a large part because of all of your prayers!! Please continue to pray for the village of Uleppi that it would become a beakon of Light for the surrounding villages and for all of Uganda!